Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Names and Relationships

I thought this piece was a fun read. I mean, who isn't curious about other people that hold the same exact name as us? I've searched for my name on google and I saw that there are others from the same cultural background as me but their name is always spelled differently from mine. But it's crazy, because you almost want to know a little bit about them. Who are they? Where do they come from? Do they have similar interests? I have yet to know and or meet someone with the name Felicia Tonga but I'm sure that if I did I would be very curious of who they are. Although Brian Doyle does not know who these people are personally you can almost sense a connection between him and the people that hold the same names as him. On page 169 Brian wakes up to find a number of returned envelopes. Doyle says, "Where are those Brian Doyle's? The lost Brian Doyle's?" It's almost as if his name creates a relationship between him and the other Brians. It's weird but a lot of people create relationships with other people just based off of their name. For instance, my sister has 6 kids, each are named after a family member from her husbands side. In return, each child is spoiled by their namesake. This is solely based on their name and nothing else. Pretty funny when I think about it but it's true... Names really do have a way of creating relationships. -Felicia Tonga

No comments:

Post a Comment