Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Being Brians

What does it mean to be a Brian Doyle? I suppose this is the question that the author, Brian Doyle, asked himself when he started working on this piece. It must have taken him months to even prepare to write the first draft. He had, assuming he tried to contact all of them, 215 letters to send out and receive replies for. That would take some time and effort but, I imagine, the end result would be worth it. I think it would be very interesting to find out what other Kayla Santos' are like. I went to the website mentioned in the piece and searched for my name. Surprisingly there are only seven of us in the nation, according to the site.  I wonder if they have a life anything like mine, if they have any traits like mine. I think that Doyle must have wondered the same. It was interesting reading how Brian Doyle related to the stories of the other Brians. He chose some intriguing, though sometimes simple, replies. He was able to round out his story by using Brians who were very different from each other. I suppose it just shows how, though we are different, we still have a connection to one another, be it our names or simply that we are human.

Kayla Santos

No comments:

Post a Comment