Monday, June 4, 2012

Have you ever searched your name?

I have searched my name on a Korea search engine before. The most prominent person who kept showing up was a news anchor with my name, but the reason was she fainted during a live news and people were keep searching about her. I checked the video of her passing out during the news and got awestruck. It was weird to have someone who has same name as mine being on the web as a top search. But since my name is not a very common one even in Korea, I have not seen that many Hae-Lims in my life.
Brian Doyle sure did a lot of research for this piece. All those other Brians who wrote back to him must have felt some kind of empathy toward him. He uses details on each Brians' life and his life to imply that even though the Brians around the United states share something but also they are all different individuals.
Name is a part of a person's identity. Even though there are people with same name all the time, it is not difficult to remember one certain person if that person is a friend or family. But finding someone who shares the name on purpose--well, how many people actually do that? This piece had its own unique purpose and it serves well.

Hae-Lim Lee

2 comments:

  1. I think we've all googled and or searched for our names on the Internet to see what kindve crazy things and or people pop up that are associated with our names. Just like you, my name isn't as common in the country I come from so there are very few with my first name and last name. It doesnt surprise me when I see my fb profile, YouTube, etc. pop up in the search results. Although there are many people with the same name and maybe even shared personality traits they it's good to know that everyone is still different and unique.
    -Felicia Tonga

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the Brian Doyles Brian Doyle wrote to had some kind of empathy toward him--or maybe they felt the same curiosity about their names. I think it's kind of a common human desire--names are important to us. They almost define us. We think of ourselves as our names! Therefore, it's simultaneously neat and weird to see other people with our names. I think curiosity outweighs any misgivings about learning of other people with one's same name.

    --Laura Strawn Ojeda

    ReplyDelete