Tuesday, June 12, 2012

10 Easy Steps to Becoming a Writer

I think out of all the readings that we had this quarter, this one (apart from Sedaris because he is a comedic writer) was the funniest one. Each of the 10 steps were funnier than the last, and at the same time something to really live by if you have plans of becoming a writer.

The first step dealt with being born strange. To my family, having a thirst for knowledge and school is something abnormal, especially since none of them ever went to college. Plus, there is also the fact that I have no ideas of marriage and such, which they consider very weird that I am still single without any children. To society, I may be a normal human being, a girl with middle child syndrome. But to my parents and family, I am a freak.

Step two: Read everything. I keep hearing too much of this, which is making me glad that I made me a summer reading list. That way, I can keep up with authors that are successfully published.

Step three: Live Life. If I could, I would. I would explore every aspect of the world, travel everywhere taste everything! Unfortunately, I have monetary limitations, and my parents disapprove of my departures when I do not return that same night. Not to mention I have no real love life.

Step four: Become a human tape recorder. I may not be much for paying attention to people, but I have every disney movie recorded internally in my memory. If anyone needed a line from a disney movie, I'm the girl they should call up.

Step five: Embrace Poverty. It's one of those things that makes me say, "why yes I am an author," to my parents in which they just look at me as though I wasted four years in school majoring in something that will not help me in the long run. I know I need another job other than being a writer. And looking into it through grad schools and such.

Step six: Learn as much as you can, which is good because I want to go into graduate schools with teaching internships. Fingers crossed.

Step seven: Cultivate discipline. I thought the intimacy of how he sacrificed love for another love was interesting, and made me wonder whether or not that predicament of choosing someone or something. But it was good advice to take discipline. Whether or not he regrets taking one choice over the other is unclear.

Step eight: Remain aware of your imperfection. I am a woman with red cheeks, overweight, and knee problems. Imperfection has plagued me since day one!

Step nine: Wake up and dream. I remain hopeful that I can publish both a novel for adults as well as young adults. I will try as many times as J.K. Rowling herself if I have to!

Step ten: stay hungry. At first, I thought that this was meant in a literal sense, you know the whole starving artist cliche. But to hunger for writing, a metaphorical sense. Truly, it is great advice, because without that desire, where will we be?


Kathy Zinzun

1 comment:

  1. I also thought step 10 was literal - then I got hungry, so I went and made myself a quesadilla with vegan cheese, hot sauce, and avocado. The fried treat was chased by a short glass of orange juice in case you were curious. I felt like an accomplished writer after that. Thought I'd share.

    ReplyDelete