Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Best Writing Tips I've Seen So Far...

I love these steps. One of my favorite things Silvis says is "...do all this without resorting to palliatives. They will numb you to the soul-knitting potential of life's blows. Rehab is for actors, not writers" (2). YES! There is so much out in the world--so much joy and pain to experience! In my short life I've learned that experiences make stories, whether the experiences are funny, sad, awful, etc. Happy experiences make stories, too, but sometimes one comes to a happy conclusion after a bad moment. I like those kinds of stories. I also love the step "Read everything you can get your hands on" (1). SO many writers say this, and it's so important. I love to read, and have been reading books since I was five. If I hadn't started so early or enjoyed it so much, I would have no clue how to write!

There are so many great steps here! I agree with Silvis's advice about not allowing oneself to marry writing. He says love is still important, that "there is nothing more creative than loving somebody" (2). I heartily agree! I'm definitely going to keep this page of writing tips. It is short, the formatting welcomes the eye, and it packs a lot of meaning and advice into four pages.

---Laura Strawn Ojeda

2 comments:

  1. Professor Fordham always says our strength is our youth. Unfortunately Silvis does not agree, but I think he doesn't give us youngins enough credit! I love that he included Thoreau's quote, "How vain it is to sit down and write when you have not stood up to love." So beautiful and true. The majority of my creative writing is based on my life experiences. While they may not be many yet, they're a good start. Afterall, he told us not to marry writing.

    -Katie Huffman

    ReplyDelete
  2. These tips are short and straightforward. Don't we all agree to at least half of these tips?

    Hae-Lim Lee

    ReplyDelete